ANSTHRLD - Re: Personal Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 4 14:37:21 PDT 1999

[His personal mail copied to the list with permission.  My reply will
be in the next message.]

    From: "R. Smith" <superboy at lsh.org>

[...]

>> Grilled gules and Or
>
>Not a well-formed blazon fragment.  Grillage is a charge on a field
>(like a fret / fretty), so it'd have to be "Gules grillage Or" or "Or
>grillage gules".

Yes, I knew better but had my brain half-engaged.  Thanks.  Gules
grillage Or is indeed what I meant.

>It has been registered only once, for the arms of Forestgate.  I see
>no reason why it would not be registerable

Good, good.

>> (Fieldless) A garden rose azure slipped and leaved proper bendwise.
>
>Since garden roses aren't period, can I convince you to go with a
>normal heraldic rose?

Yes; you just did. :)

>Alys of the Midnight Rose, "Or, a rose slipped and leaved azure".  1
>CD for fieldless.  Garden roses are treated in the SCA as artistic
>variants of heraldic roses.  Slipping and leaving is not a CD,
>although it is blazonable.  I don't know that "bendwise" would apply
>to the rose, and I couldn't tell if a garden rose were rotated
>anyway.  Conflict.
>
>I'm not sure what Johnathan [sic!] Crusadene Whitewolf's rose looks
>like in "Sable, a rose azure imbrued gules".  It has drops of blood
>somehow, but it's not clear to me that it's a semy of gouts (which
>would be a CD) or just a few drops dangling from petals (which
>probably wouldn't be).

My reworked ideas, and if you would take a moment to comment on them I would
be extremely grateful (actually, I'm already quite grateful for your help):

Device:

Gules grillage Or, on a bend argent three roses purpure.

Badge:

(Fieldless) In bend three roses purpure.

My lady quite insightfully asked how the heck you tell that they are in
bend with no point of reference.  My goal here is simply to get the
suckers in a line, whereas "(Fieldless) Three roses purpure" would
get me two and one, if I recall correctly.

Any help for the hapless?

Thanks already,
Tighearnach mac Morgain
Shire of Mooneschadowe