ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Aug 19 16:34:35 PDT 1999

Tadhg won at "Spot the Hidden Assumption".  Mine, in this case, where
I assumed that "pursuivant" was a job title rather than a state of
being.

On the other hand, can it be said that the modified titles "Pursuivant
Extraordinary" and "Pursuivant-at-Large" are job titles?  This is
clearer in the PE case, as "Extraordinary" implies a job specifically,
one outside the line structure.

As for the suggestions relating to "deputy regional herald" et al
... Personally, I'd prefer to use a period title in a way close to the
period meaning, than a modern-looking descriptive title that I find
boring.  Further, a PE/PaL would not be a deputy of any particular
regional, right?

We could also revive named titles in abeyance.  We've registered more
heraldic titles than most kingdoms; we can recycle.  I know Actuarius
is available; any others?

We also have some kingdom order names we can use.  Garter King of Arms
is associated with the Order of the Garter; ditto Toisson D'Or (I'm
pretty sure I misspled that: "Golden Fleece") doubtless did in
Burgundy.

(Ideally, such a named herald would have any special duties for that
order, like calling up candidates for receiving those awards, but that
could become a zoo at Steppes Twelfth Night.  "Is Star of Merit
Pursuivant here?  Here's your two, and get the insignia from Anna.
HEY, WHITE SCARF!  OVER HERE!  We've been looking for you!")

For that matter, it's even possible loot the baronies.  Maybe
*unwise*, but I'm brainstorming now.  Tell them that their baronial
service order is now their branch herald's title, on the Garter model,
and pounce on their old baronial title.  The Steppes herald would be
Oak Pursuivant, and Oakenwald might be offered to any PE/PaL that has
a connection to Steppes.

All in all, I think plain PE/PaL is the best.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.