ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 18 20:28:31 PDT 1999

> I'm not sure you can unmake someone once they win to that level.

*spocks an eyebrow* Oh?  Subject to Society laws (e.g., Corpora, Board
rulings, et cetera) and kingdom law (e.g., law proper, officer
handbooks), a kingdom principal herald can structure the kingdom
College of Heralds as he liseth and give people such offices, titles,
and ranks as he will.

The only things that really can't be nuked at will are SCA awards;
those require heroic measures. P-a-L can't be viewed as an SCA award,
because
- - it wasn't called an award or order
- - it wasn't given in court at a newsletter event (Corpora)
- - only a landed type can give awards (Corpora)
Since Star didn't have the power to give awards, it can't be an
award.  It has to be an honorific, an office, a rank, et cetera.

If he says "*poof* you're not a Pursuivant-At-Large in the Ansteorran
College of Heralds any more", then *poof*.

> > Hey, I *said* it was a nit!
> I know, I know, but now it's crawling on me!
The *egg* of a louse is crawling on you?

Oh, buggerit.  I just remembered the Corpora provision that ossifers
have to be paid members of SCA Inc. A California 501(c)3 Not-For-
Profit Corporation Accept No Substitutes.  That means authorizers have
to bother to check membership cards and membership expiration dates.
May I suggest that the rank of PaL / PE / Attack Pursuivants be
decoupled from that, but if you're not a Paid Member Of SCA Inc. you
just can't do anything officer-like?  That is, you're as free as
anyone else in the kingdom to spout off on what you think heraldry is,
suggest to people who they should consult for more info, advise them
on how to fill out forms -- but not accept forms, money, or otherwise
act on behalf of the Ansteorran College of Heralds, until you get your
new Paid Member Card (TM)?  And have that activity count towards
renewal?

Daniel "moderately pro-Society but moderately rabid anti-SCA Inc."
de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.