ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 06:03:26 PDT 1999

- --- Amanda Lewanski <editor at texas.net> wrote:

> So my question is, would I have to recertify, as it were, to claim
> this rank? I believe that even inactive, I'm still a pursuivant at
> large. I'm not sure you can unmake someone once they win to that
> level. The rank is not a license to practice which can be revoked;
> it's a level of knowledge which cannot be unachieved.

That's a very good point, which I don't recall ever having been made
explicit before. Is "Pursuivant" an office? Or is it a certification of
a level of expertise? I'd be prepared to argue that in Period "Herald"
was invariably an office, while "Pursuivant" was like "Apprentice",
something that could indicate a formal position but that could also
indicate merely pursuit of knowledge in a certain field.

I suggest that it would be of significant value to settle this point
prior to doing anything else.

Tadhg, Hanaper