ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 05:57:53 PDT 1999

- --- "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:

> > "Pursuivants at Large" ... "Pusuivant Extrodinary"
>
> Since "extraordinary" in this sense is "Employed or sent upon an
> unusual or special service; as, an ambassador extraordinary.", and
> Da'ud or Tadhg informed me once that that he considered it an antonym
> to "officer in ordinary", "a prelate [or other officer?] exercising
> original jurisdiction over a specified territory or group", I don't
> think the semantic difference between the two terms is large.
>
> Daniel "here, have a nit" de Lincolia

I'll see your nit, and raise you one.

"Extraordinary" means an officer outside of the regular establishment
for such officers. The use in "Ambassador Extraordinary" is an historic
relic of a time when it wasn't normal to keep embassies in other folk's
territories; each embassy was sent for a special purpose. In modern
Britain, "[Officer] Extraordinary" is usually somebody given a title
because of some special expertise or sometimes merely because they need
extra help; that's the major rationale behind our use of "Herald
Extraordinary" titles for people who have been Star.

In this case, since (if I understand it correctly) "Pursuivants at
Large" won't have any title other than that, they are functionally
Pursuivants Extraordinary, and I see no obvious reason not to call them
that.

Tadhg, Hanaper