ANSTHRLD - Semy of Mullets

Wendy Erisman wendye2 at admin.stedwards.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:39:16 PDT 1999

At 10:45 PM 8/24/99 -0500, Daniel wrote:
>I don't have _Anglo-Norman Armory II_ to hand, but as best I recall
>it's not particularly rare at all even in the earliest days.

I took a quick look through A-N II and found a dozen or so devices
connected with individuals that have strewn charges as their primaries.
There were a very large number of semy fields, but most had an ordinary on
them.

Some examples:
John Darcy, Argent semy of roses gules
Robert Mortimer, Barry or and vert, semy-de-lis counterchanged

Other interesting tidbits:
	Strewn items tended towards the simple and common (billety, bezanty,
semy-de-lys, crusilly), but some were more complex, including several
examples of nine or ten martlets that we might well call semy of martlets.
The most interesting thing I noticed is that ordinaries with strewn charges
were fairly common, not just the bordures we see a lot in the SCA but also
fesses, pales, and chevronels (!).

	Based on this, I'd say that Timothy's proposed device (both versions) is
certainly based on a period, although not common, practice.

					Gwenllian

HL Gwenllian ferch Maredudd, Armillary Herald
Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra