ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Roy Heath the_one_true_roy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 14:43:21 PDT 1999

> "What does a branch herald _need_ to know?"

The branch pursuivant needs to know, at a bare minimum, how to deal
with the administrative requirements of the office, and how to organize
heraldic activities for the local group.  It's nice if the local
officer actually has an interest in the science of heraldry, but not
necessary.

If they can fill out the paperwork, stay on top of the reporting, and
ensure that heraldic activities are being handled properly in their
group; then we should thank our lucky stars.

Let's examine the local job a little more closely:

What do the local groups need?  Most of the populace simply needs
someone who can help them prepare their submission forms and send them
to kingdom correctly.  Most groups don't have a good heraldic library,
so it isn't fair to expect them to do a lot of consultation.  Just make
sure that the money goes to the local treasurer and the checkf for the
submissions goes to kingdom with the right number of forms and
photocopies.

For events, there is a need for heralds to make announcements and to
organize court if it is to be held; but there is no requirement that
these jobs be done by the local.  I and many other heralds enjoy doing
court, but some folks don't.  As long as the local makes certain that
it is organized, it doesn't matter who does it.

Arguments can certainly be raised that there are other valid duties for
the local office, but these are the only ones without which our stated
requrements are not met.

Sincerely,
Erc