ANSTHRLD - Ansteorran LoIs and volume

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sat Feb 27 21:47:10 PST 1999

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Kathleen O'Brien <kobrien at bmc.com> wrote:
> I'll go home and make a list of what Ansteorran LoIs I have.  Then
> I'll post it here.  If any of you can fill in the holes, I would be
> really grateful.

I decided to go thru the Laurel Cover Letters and list all the
Ansteorran LoIs, just so Mari can tell where the holes *are*.  This
reminded me of a project I thought about months ago but never got
around to: showing the volume of Ansteorran submissions ruled on at
Laurel each month.

All this I did using the anachronistic science of ASCII art, and I'm
sure it's all confusing.  Please e-mail me privately if you want to
figure it out but can't.

PART I: LOI LIST
================

There is one line per month October 1990-December 1998.  Thus, blank
lines show that LoIs did not go out in those months.  A block of blank
lines meant Bad News For Submitters.

The leftmost vertical column is the Star Principal Herald.  The
effective date is the first month he was shown in the AG.  The first
letter of his name goes on that month.  His tenure continues until the
next name starts in his column.

"***" marks ILoI 80, the start of many of our troubles.  190 numbered
items that month, 63 and 60 in the two previous months.

The next vertical column is for the internal submissions person, but I
saw little early indication of who that was, if different from Star.
All submissions were to be mailed to Kief during his tenure as Star,
but I think Donal (Asterisk) may have started processing submissions
somewhere in there.  Donal certainly did so from the start of Tostig's
tenure.  When Donal became Star, Gwenllian ferch Maredudd became
Asterisk.  Thus, I left the column blank until Tostig.

The rightmost vertical column is the person listed as the External
Submissions herald.  That herald tended to be called Forerynel,
Asterisk, or a regional with plurality of office.  The first Bordure
as external submissions herald was Tadhg in the October 1993 AG.  The
date is as with Star, except that Daniel started acting as Bordure in
mid-November 1996 so is shown starting in December 1996.  Who was
doing LoIs July-October 1993?  My bet is Tadhg, but the people on the
CoA mailing list were Richard (Star), Steffan of the Tall Pines
(Actuarius), Kathri (Estencel{e'}), Erc FitzMungo (Orle).

Dates of LoIs are on each line.  Redated letters were dated one month
but postmarked the next; they were treated as if they were dated as of
the postmark date.

Names:
    ?: Don't have an AG to tell / AG doesn't say.
    Tadhg, Tad: Tadhg Liath of Duncairn, Star, Bordure
    Di, Diarmuid: [Conor] Diarmuid mac Ruis, Asterisk (LoI)
    Dathi: Dathi {O'} Cooney, Forerynel, Star
    Richar, Richard: Richard of the Silverdawn, Eclipse, Asterisk (LoI), Star
    -: no external submissions herald listed
    Kief: Kief av Kiersted, Star
    Ragnar: Ragnar Larsson, Bordure
    Tostig: Tostig Logiosophia, Star
    Donal O'Dochartaigh: Star, Asterisk (ILoI)
    Gwenllian ferch Maredudd: Asterisk (ILoI)
    Daniel de Lincoln: Bordure

T     ?  October 20 1990
A        November 20 1990
D        December 20 1990
H        February 10 1991
      D  March 11 1991
      i  April 15 1991
         May 1 1991
      a  July 14 1991
      t  August 1 1991, August 20 1991
      i  October 25 1991
         November 23 1991 (red. December 9 1991), Dec. 15 1991, Dec. 26 1991

D     D
A     i  February 21 1992
T     a  March 8 1992, March 30 1992
H     r
I *** m  May 1 1992, May 29 1992
      u  June 14 1992, June 15 1992
      i  July 21 1992
         September 28 1992
      i  November 5 1992, November 6 1992
         April 12 1993, April 13 1993, April 14 1993
R     -
C        July 7 1993, July 29 1993
H        August 25 1993
A        September 29 1993
R        October 20 1993
D     T
      a  November 24 1993 (redated December 1 1993), December 24 1993
      d  January 28 1994
      -
         March 1 1994

         May 25 1994

K  ?  R
I  ?  a
E  ?  g  September 1994 (redated October 7 1994)
F     n  November 5 1994
      r  January 21 1995

         March 2 1995
         April 22 1995

         June 10 1995, June 28 1995

         September 10 1995

   ^
   ?
T  D
O  o
S  n     February 29 1996 (redated March 8 1996)
T  a
I  l

         August 11 1996, August 30 1996, June 18 1996 (redated August 31 1996)
         September 30 1996

         November 15 1996 (Ragnar), November 27 1996 (Daniel)
      D  December 14 1996
D  G  a  January 8 1997
O  w  n  February 7 1997, February 27 1997
N  e  i  March 24 1997
A  n  e
L  l  l  May 31 1997
   l     June 28 1997
   i     July 26 1997
   n     September 30 1997
         October 30 1997
         November 26 1997
         December 20 1997
         January 30 1998
         February 28 1998
         March 27 1998

         May 30 1998
         June 30 1998
         July 30 1998
         August 28 1998
         September 30 1998
         October 30 1998

         December 19 1998

PART II: SUBMISSION VOLUME BAR GRAPH
====================================

Here there is one line per Laurel meeting since *January 1993*.  I
have the LoARs for before that, but my index of submissions already
had volume counts starting then.  I ignored months that only had
errata entries.

This is a bit complicated, since I wanted to show three variables:
- - the number of submissions accepted / returned by Laurel
- - the number of submissions sent up by kingdom
- - the extra time lag between kingdom and Laurel rulings.  If all went
  well (starting November 1992) there was four months between LoI and
  LoAR.  However, if the check or the forms didn't get there in time,
  the rulings were delayed until they did.

Thus, I plotted kingdom and Laurel actions on the same plot.

Short explanation:
- ------------------

Longer bars, more submissions.
No bars, no submissions.  Bad.
Numbers mean Ansteorra screwed up.  Bad.

Long explanation:
- -----------------

There is one character for every two submissions.
The characters are on the line for the LoI date.
"#" is for normal submissions: those submissions took exactly 4 months.
"1" means that it took one month extra due to admin problems.
"3" means that it took THREE months extra due to admin problems:
    that is, it took not 4 months but 7.

So let me interpret the first three non-blank lines.

In November 1992, there's a line of 19 "3"s.  That means that the
LoI(s) in November had 38 items, and they were ruled on by Laurel
3 months late: usual would have been March, actually ruled on in
June.

In April 1993, 43 "1"s: 86 submission on the April 1993 LoI(s), ruled
on 1 month late (August would have been expected, Laurel actually
ruled on them in September).

July 1993 has 43 "#"s and 14 "1"s.  The July 1993 LoI(s) had 86
submissions that were ruled on as expected four months later, in
November.  They also had 28 items that had an administrative delay of
a month, so they were ruled on in December.

^  ^     ^
9  D  ?  R
2  A  ?  i  3333333333333333333
v  T  ?  c
^  H     h
1  I     a
9        r
9           1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
3  R     -
|  C        ###########################################11111111111111
|  H        ##############
|  A        ###########
|  R        #############
|  D     T
v        a  #######################################
^        d  ##############
1        -
9           ###########
9
4           ############################

|  K     R
|  I     a
|  E     g  #############
|  F     n  ############
v        a
^        r  ##############
1
9           #################
9           ################
5
|           ####################
|

|           #################
|
|     ^
v     ?
^  T  D
1  O  o
9  S  n     #########################################################
9  T  a
6  I  l

|           ######################
|           111111111111111