ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Heraldic wills (spinoff thread)

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Fri May 28 09:02:12 PDT 1999

Intriging idea... and probably something to seriously consider with the
aging population of the SCA.
However, the logistics to keeping up with *who* has passed on would be
tricky.. .someone would have to be aware of deaths (or have it reported to
them)  within each Kingdom, then go look up the paperwork and see what the
request is.  We tend to be aware of the well known personalities in our
Kingdom that pass, as they are memorialized in the newsletters and on the
net., but for those less well known that stay more exclusively within their
households, how would you know, unless reported to the office.  We are such
a transitory community, its hard to keep up with where folks are.

I would suggest you might need to add a column for 'date of death' (or at
least year)  and a 'date of device release' (which is probably already on
the form... sorry don't have one at work with me).

I guess in the long run, nothing would have to be done at all to release
the device, unless there is a allow-to-conflict request or a request from a
family or household member toward the registered arms.. and then when we
try to track down the holder of the arms, we would see what their request
is on the paperwork and would know how to proceed if the research on
conflicting showed they were deceased.  If this were the way to use the
form, then perhaps it would work.

As a further to this line... I had suggested some time ago that we create a
'Silent' order where we register the names of members who have passed on
during that year.   And then once a year, we call the names of those,  who
passed during the year,  in court to remember them, sort of like the Aggie
tradition... what's it called??  Roll-Call??   Again, a logistical problem,
what do you do if you forget to include someone on the list?,.. how are we
going to know who passed, unless someone tells us?   While the idea is
sentimental and a way to show final respect, it could be a difficult
process to coordinate.

My .02 cents... Hillary

teceangl said:
However, we could start *now* to help plan for the future.  It's been
an idea of mine for awhile to print a heraldic will of some sort on
the registration forms, perhaps in checkbox format.  "Should I die, I
wish my armory to be A) released, B) registered to ________, C) kept
as armory registered to me."  Encourage submitters to fill it in, but
do NOT make it a requirement for submission.