ANSTHRLD - Grant question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Oct 14 08:27:21 PDT 1999

Amy & Bill Morris <awmorris at flash.net> wrote:
> there are examples of non-armigerous awards that out-ranked simple
> AoA's in period times

I'm trying to think of "simple Award of Arms" and "non-armigerous
awards" in any way related to period, and I'm failing.  What do you
mean?  Can you give examples of what you're thinking of?

In certain areas in (later) period, arms could be awarded by
higher-ups.  In some areas in period (in some areas, in all of
period), people assumed arms on their own.  Even in times of strict
regulations (e.g., late period England), people still assumed arms.
Arms-like things have been found for German burghers, and seals have
been found for Norman peasants.

In England, job titles did not convey nobility (unlike some titles in
France, for example), but it's hard to imagine anyone who wasn't even
a knight becoming, say, the royal Secretary (if I remember Cecil's
title correctly temp. Eliz. I).

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***