ANSTHRLD - Precedence Question

Amanda Lewanski editor at texas.net
Fri Oct 22 20:24:08 PDT 1999

Donald Riney wrote:

> I believe since they are siting in the place of a Landed noble they would
> maintain the same precedence as the other landeds. this is of course because
> the Barony maintains it's precedence and they represent it.

Actually, upon thinking about it, I think that Obelisk is right and the title of
Vicar and Vicaress would convey no precedence unless specified. It is not the
precedence of the Barony which is marching, or being listed, or whatever; it is
the personal precedence of the individual.

Which leads to a related question--am I wrong, and *is* it the precedence of the
Barony, rather than personal precedence, which counts for landeds? Do they march
in order of founding of the Baronies, or by their date of landedness? If in order
of Baronial founding, then Darius is probably right.

However, I get confused when I take this any farther; for example, Vicar and
Vicaress is a temporary duty, but then, technically, so is being a landed Baron
or Baroness, so I don't know what bearing that would have on things. Are landed
folk *always* given a Court Barony upon stepping down? If so, being landed means
you'll never be below that level of precedence, while being a Vicar would mean
nothing of the sort. Which may imply absolutely nothing at all relevant to the
question.

Oh, well. Further mulling may cause other thoughts to float up from the deeps
(although my deeps are getting shallower by the day, seems like), but I thought
I'd throw this thought out for consideration before I forgot it.

- --Alisandre (with my two cents, we have four now, and you know what that'll buy)