ANSTHRLD - Associated checks for device: Sable, a sextant Or.

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Mon Sep 13 13:29:46 PDT 1999

As the first registration for the charge ("sextant ancient"), it would
have to include the documentation for the submitted picture.

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Amy Forsyth wrote:
> I think I read that the idea was put down on paper in the 1580's and
> the instrument was in actual use in the 1590's in Prague.  ...
> So, Christoforo is looking at quadrant...... I'm still trying to sway him
> back over to sextant (since it took me 2 years to find him the
> documentation he just *knew* was out there).

If I may express my personal opinion?  (Chorus: Like you've ever
stopped in the past?!  Sit down, Dan, sit down!)

It's rare enough to have such charges on arms (perhaps not quite as
uncommon as badges?  I don't know).  Further, something developed at
the very end of period, while registerable, is highly unlikely to have
ever been used in period armory.  The product of the improbabilities
is, well, very improbable, very far from core period style.

While it's tempting to use the fruits of that research for a
submission, I would still advise him to go with a quadrant (or,
better, something more common, but if he wants such an instrument, a
quadrant).

> It's now at a point where either he's going to submit what he wants,
> or it's going to get submitted for him.

Um.  Please don't.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --