ANSTHRLD - Associated checks for device: Sable, a sextant Or.

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Sep 13 05:40:18 PDT 1999

> I have a potential submitter who believes that 'Sable, a sextant Or" is clear
> of conflict, having checked it against the O&A, but is concerned about visual
> conflicts with anything that looks like a sextant ("a square, a circle, or,
> more likely, a triangle," to quote).  The sextant is right out of the
> Pic-Dic, if you need to see one.

Is it?  What entry?  I find the quadrant, but there are no sextants in SCA
armory that I can find, and the date of invention according to encyclopedia.com
is 1731, while the quadrant is said to have been "used to find latitude in
medieval times".

If your client means quadrant, it does look clear to me.  There's one quadrant
registered, and plenty going on to keep things clear (though it does have a
sable field and Or quadrant), and try as I might I cannot think of a single
thing which might conflict with a properly-drawn quadrant.

> What are triangles when they're heraldic?  What else should we check for,
> besides delfs (delves?), roundels, and triangles, to try to avoid visual
> conflicts?

I'd check bowed psaltreys, trilliums and valknuts, but then, I'm also paranoid.
:)

- - Teceangl
- --
      Conflict checker to knaves, knights, kings, and all between.