ANSTHRLD - submission question (Sla'ine)

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 09:45:06 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/7/2000 10:17:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
jds-emma at operamail.com writes:

> a) why, and b) what exactly it
>  was that was returned/pended.

This is summarized from the Gazettes:

Name: Sl[a']ine an Mac-Tire was returned for lack of dated references to the
names and lack of documentation of the construction.  Also, she had checked
"no changes" so the CoH couldn't fix anything, anyway.

The big problems seem to have been the "an" which means "the" and doesn't
seem to belong in that position, the hyphen in Mac-Tire, and the lack of
dated reference for the surname.  "Sl[a']ine" can be documented from
O'Corrain and MacQuire, p. 166, who call it "common in the later middle ages"
which is probably adequate.  Woulfe, "Irish Names and Surnames" p 318 lists
the Gaelic name "Mac an Tsaoir" and the Anglicized version as MacTire,
without dates (but his Gaelic names are usually within period.)  Also: Black,
Surnames of Scotland, p 567 under MACTYRE dates Paul MacTyre to 1360, and p
519 under MACINTYRE dates Gildow Makintare to 1506 and Duncan M'Kintier to
1513.

Device:  Argent a bend sinister between a wolf's head couped contourny gules
and three trefoils vert. Pended at Kingdom for submission of acceptable name.

This was the final blazon at kingdom.  There was no real problem with the
device, except that we needed an acceptable name before we could send it to
Laurel.  There is no copy of her device form in the file, but it would be on
old forms that we couldn't use now.  I'd advise you to check it for conflicts
again before drawing it on the current forms.  (If you like, you could post a
request to the Ansteorran heralds list; they have been very helpful to me
about conflict checks.  And they're much better at it than I am!)

Badge:  Proposed blazon - Or, a wolf couchant gules head to sinister bearing
in its mouth a sword reversed bendwise with dexter paw raised over the point,
a collar fracted, the rear legs crossed with the dexter paw draped over the
back and the tail nowed and erect.  Returned for unblazonable position.  The
Gazette states "Submitter is encouraged to register a heraldic beast in a
heraldic position, then use artistic license for any other details."

To the CoH, this looked like an attempt to register a knotwork beast in the
style of Celtic illumination, and that's not heraldry.  It's artwork, but
it's not heraldic art.  She's more likely to succeed with, for instance, "Or
a wolf couchant regardant gules [bearing in its mouth a sword reversed
bendwise]." Then she can put the feet anywhere she wants once it's
registered, but the copy that goes to Laurel would need to be a standard
"wolf couchant" with feet flat on the ground beneath it.  And of course,
check for conflict before bothering to put it on forms.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need more.  Thanks for your concern
and diligence on behalf of your submitters.

Kathri, Asterisk