ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun Apr 30 15:03:43 PDT 2000

Naziism, paganism, and Christianity, all touched on in my message.
Asbestos pajamas, everyone!

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Richard Culver <rbculver at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We are suppose to be an educational organization yet we hide
> research.

Sorry to interrupt your rant, but I've never noticed the SCA hide
research.  *Application* of the research, sometimes -- no witch
hangings, no pogroms, little suppression of women, ...

> I really hate being a slave to the actions of the 12 years of the
> Arrogant Austrian.

(Took me a moment trying to think of which period Austrian you were
referring to.  "Some Hapsburg?  A Hohenzollern? ..."  Then
1945-1933==12 clicked in.)

> The fylfot, to use the Middle English term, was used on weapons,
> burial urns, and other such things.

Well, In My Humble Opinion, too bad.  I'm sure that most were not
marked with fylfots; there's any number of other symbols you can use.

> I assure you other symbols have bad track records yet still are kept
> around.

I can think of only one: the cross.  However, the vast majority of
people in the US have positive or neutral opinions of it.  This is not
the case with the fylfot, the South African three-armed thingy, the
pentagram (unfortunately), et cetera.  (Lest you pigeon-hole me
inaccurately as a Promise Keeper or something: I'm a militant
agnostic/atheistic ygay man.)

(An SCA heraldic note: Northern Atlantia had a major fuss when they
had several candidates for their principality arms.  One candidate was
reminiscent of the flag of Maryland, which is the Baltimore arms,
which is quartered with a cross (bottony, if memory serves).  Several
people said that they were vehemently opposed, to the point of not
wanting to play there if it was adopted.  I asked one what she would
do if she ever had to move to Maryland and see the flag on her car,
her driver's licence, state buildings, et cetera.  I never did get an
answer.)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;