ANSTHRLD - Heraldic Display

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Mon Aug 28 20:15:18 PDT 2000

I have not seen a reply to this so I am going to offer my two pesos worth...

>I am involved with a group that is going to filing for incipient status.
>When we do we will be resurrecting the old name and heraldry for the
>area.
>
>My question is:
>   When can the group display that Heraldry?

I believe, anywhere the group is represented.  If the group someday
attains baronial status, then the arms are reserved to the nobles but
until then... I think anywhere a group of ya'all may go.

Ah, but now I see the real thrust of your question below...

>When they apply for incipient status....
>When the Seneschal is reviewing the material...
>When the Crown and Seneschal convey incipient status...
>
>I have a number of very excited, happy little seamstresses that want to
>start making banners, and tabards, and shields.....oh my!   Anyway, I have
>to know how long I'm going to need to hold them back.  It will be like
>"releasing the hounds of weft".
>
>Petruccio

I would really like to see more commentary on this because I may be
wrong in what I am about to say.  (I've copied Star so we'll see if
he joins in.)

If you were a new group forming from scratch, then I think this would
be easier.  You could "assume" the arms you would try to register
upon reaching incipient status and use them.  Of course, if those
arms were returned in the submission process then your seamstresses
would have to start over (so you shouldn't make too many).

In your case, you will assume the name and arms of a defunct group
that (I assume although you did not explicitly state) have already
been registered.  This is different to me.  I would await at least
for explicit word from the crown that they view your petition to
assume this old group's arms and name with favor.  Because in this
case you will be manufacturing arms and displaying arms that have
dissolved back to the ownership of the crown.  The crown may not
display them, but the crown technically holds the arms of any defunct
group when the group is dissolved and the lands revert back to "Crown
Lands".  Until the crown chooses to recreate that group, those are
arms of the crown (lesser arms, but...).  I think it would be really
neat if the crown showed its favor for your petition (assuming they
do favor it) (and even though it is not approved yet) by granting
your group, in court, the right to bear, use, and guard those arms
for them until your petition is either approved or disapproved.

But then I like neat court stuff.

Barring that, I think you would have to await incipient status to
bear it with any legality.

So, I am stating an opinion here which bears no official weight of
any herald's office; just my two pesos.  Would others like to comment?

Etienne