ANSTHRLD - Bar sinisters in this ILOI

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Dec 13 11:21:10 PST 2000

I don't see a problem.  To my eye, Armand's device simply has "a bend
sinister", not a bendlet, a baton, a bar, a bat, a budgie, a
Bjornsborger basting Bevo, ... sorry, the alliteration alternator
started suddenly.

It isn't cut off short: it simply has a chief overlying the end.  With
a chief being present, there's no way a bend *can't* be overlain.

The line of indentation of the chief continues over the bend
sinister.  If memory serves, they're both of the same ermined
tincture.  I don't recall any precedents against either
- a chief with a complex line of division overlying a bend
- where one ordinary overlies another, not outlining the overlying
  charge
but I'll ask on the SCA Heralds' list.

It's a little bit narrow, but given that you have groups of
secondaries on each side, and the three rapiers on the sinister side
are rather long, and the bend sinister is uncharged, so you'd expect
it to shrink a bit.

This particular depiction has the bend aligning with the indentations
of the chief, and in heraldry, different charges usually don't line up
precisely (the only exception that comes to mind is "counterchanged").
In fact, in the few cases where the only way to make a submission work
is to make different elements line up precisely, it's grounds for
return.  However, that's not the case here: the bend sinister and the
chief are identifiable, and I think would be whether aligned or no.

The possible problem that I *do* see is that a bend or bend sinister
has to end centered on the corner, and this has the upper edge (if
extended under the chief) hitting the corner.  "Debased" (not
"abased") is possible in blazon, but it would be further down.
Shifting a central charge slightly to accomodate charges on one side
is a common heraldic practice, but this bend sinister has charges on
*both* sides, and the bend sinister is shifted *towards* the long
charges.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)