ANSTHRLD - A couple of questions (and replies) regarding the latest Gazette

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Dec 18 17:04:02 PST 2000

"Nordsteorra" <northern_herald at ansteorra.org> wrote some stuff with
long lines.  If your mailer allows it, please set wrapping at column
72 or so.

> 1) Agnes de Siena
>
> Agnes did not specify "changes requested for authenticity to Irish".
> Please note all the references are Continental Europe--especially
> Italy.

Ya know, we was wonderin' about that lil' bit ...

> 6) Cadhla Ua Cellachan
>
> The original submission was "Vert, an orle of mushrooms
> argent"...but the one in the Gazette is "Vert, an tressure of
> mushrooms argent".
>
> Does anyone know if there is a reason for this change?

I don't.  Mind you, things get reblazoned at kingdom and then at
Laurel, so the initial blazon is not utterly critical.  What *IS*
critical in the initial blazon is getting the tinctures right (or we
can't conflict-check) and the intended type of each charge (so we can
say "that's not a merman; you need to" or whatever).

> Is one blazon preferable to the other?

Yes.  The SCA standard for that arrangement is "an orle of" (or "in
orle").

> ? Davis McReynald [was 11) Kathleen Davis McReynald]
>
> Her use of Davis was as a maiden name...not a double surname.

A maiden name *is* a surname, and "Davis" wasn't a given name in
period, so it *is* a double surname.

They generally didn't do maiden names in the British Isles in period,
I believe.  Mari could say more.

> Again, if the College believes it too wierd, drop Davis.

Thanks.  It would be far more plausible to drop Davis in terms of
period authenticity, but I think it would probably be registerable
with Davis.  Do you know how interested the submitter is in
authenticity -- that is, if "Kathleen McReynald" is authentic and
registerable and "Kathleen Davis McReynald" is not authentic but also
still registerable, which she would prefer?

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)