ANSTHRLD - "Simple" Armory

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 08:22:31 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/18/2000 2:31:14 PM Central Standard Time, tmcd at jump.net
writes:

> So it *could* be fast-tracked.  I would not advise it, however;
>  I would suggest the regular in-kingdom conflict-checking.

Since the proposed submission has a conflict, the question of fasttracking it
is moot, but just for the record:  If fasttracking a new armory submission
will allow it to be matched to a name that is in process so that they go in
the same LoI, I advocate doing so because it's easier on Bordure and the CoA
as well as a service to the submitter.  Otherwise, I vote with Daniel.

Kathri
PS A historical explanation of fasttracking:
(Those who were heralds in Ansteorra by the 20th anniversary of the Kingdom
[ATYC, July 1999] can stop here, although I've numbered it because I know
Daniel will keep reading.)
1. Before putting a submission into an LoI, the Ansteorran CoH does an
in-kingdom evaluation of submissions that takes 3 months.
2. The traditional gift from the CoH to the Crown Prince & Princess is
individual consultation and expedition of heraldic submissions; i.e., senior
heralds provide any needed research, drawing, conflict checking, etc., and
put the submission(s) into an LoI, skipping the in-kingdom evaluation by the
whole CoH.  Note that the royal submissions didn't, and still don't, have to
meet any requirements about authenticity, simplicity, etc. (This started when
someone without a registered name won Crown Tournament and was rather
embarrassed it.  His Star Principal and some others undertook to get the name
registered by the time he stepped down, which required short-cutting the
in-kingdom process.  The next winner of Crown Tournament didn't have a
registered name either.  Twice = tradition. Now, in the rare cases were both
sovereign and consort have registered names and devices, they are rather
proud of not needing this service, though we offer to expedite household
names, badges, etc.)
3. For several reasons, the CoH did a consult-and-submit table at ATYC.  It
allowed submitters to do the whole process from initial idea to complete
submission straight to the kingdom level.  It succeeded beyond our wildest
nightmares and produced a bolus equal to 3 months normal work.  In an effort
to handle it, the Asterisk, Armillary, and Bordure Heralds decided to pick
out the really good submissions and "do what we do for the royals" -- check
them for conflict and put them "on the fast track" into the next LoI.  The
primary aims at that time were to save the time of the commenting heralds for
the submissions that needed it, and to spread the bolus of submissions over
several LoIs.
4. When things calmed down, we realized that we had a winner:  a reward for
submitters who chose authentic names and "easy" devices; a way to handle any
peaks in volume of submissions; documentation of things like royal
submissions and administrative returns.  I wrote up our notes and experiences
for review.  No one commented, but everyone started following the policies.
About that time, Star Principal Francois said "Email that to me and I'll put
it in the Handbook I'm about to publish."   So I did.  It's not sectioned and
numbered because I was never thinking in terms of a handbook format, and
Francois was tired of the project but determined to get it printed even
though it wasn't perfect.  I'm sure he just pasted it in and went to print.
And at least it's in print, and available somewhere besides my hard drive.
It's at www.ansteorra.org/heraldry as "CoH Administrative Handbook" but BE
WARNED:  it requires Adobe's Acrobat Reader and takes several minutes to
download.

K.