ANSTHRLD - Heraldic News - Offices Filled and others now Open

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Sun Jul 2 11:43:52 PDT 2000

>The third position that is open for applications is Bordure Herald. Bordure
>is the liazon between Ansteorra and the Laurel Soverign of Arms for the
>SCA. They write the letters of Intent that go to Laurel and keep us
>notified as to what has passed. Ldy Mari Elspeth nic O'Brien has been doing

Eeep!  My registered name is non-period enough (which will get fixed just
as soon as I have a break amongst working on other folks' submission...).
One more to add to the misspellngs list <grin!>   [By the way, I keep a
list for my mundane name as well.  There's more than one company who has
decided that my last name is Brien and my middle initial is O - makes
sorting the junk mail very easy!]

>a grand job of keeping us informed and the communiction between Ansteorra
>and Laurel running smoothly for her entire time in office. Thank you for
>all your efforts, you are a true asset to the College of Heralds. If anyone
>is interested in taking the office of Bordure Herlad, please send an
>application to Ldy Mari and myself along with a copy of your membership
>card. I will be accepting applications until the end of September.

Um... end of September???  Don't you mean either end of August or beginning
of Sept?  My last LoI is scheduled to be the one at the end of Sept. and
I'd like to work with my successor during that.  To do that, we'll have to
have the successor chosen by mid-September.

For everyone's knowledge, Bordure duties include:
	- write the LoI
	- send the LoI & other documents out in a
	  monthly mailing to the College of Arms
	- read ALL Letters of Comment that come in
	- if appropriate, write a Letter of Response
	  to Comment (responding to the comments in
	  the above item).
	- send notification cards to submitters after
	  their items are accepted or returned in an
	  LoAR
	- (optional) write a Letter of Comment on
	  other kingdoms LoIs.

The June LoI is out.  Gone.  In the mail.  Out of my house!!!!  And after
that ordeal, I would say I'm past slightly crispy and quickly approaching
burnt out.

Bordure really isn't a difficult or time consuming job - unless you add in
that optional item at the bottom of the list.  Which I have.  Looking back,
I _really_ don't recommend it.  (And I can think of several people who are
now saying "I told you so!"  To which I say, "Yeah?  So *thrrrp*! in your
general direction.")

Consider this an official call for a deputy - basically to babysit me and
make sure I don't burn out completely before October.  And maybe to help
get me caught up on sending out submitter notification cards.

[Borek, I'll put a letter in the next Gazette.]

Mari

HL Mari Elspeth nic Bryan
Bordure Herald, Kingdom of Ansteorra
mka Kathleen M. O'Brien
kobrien at bmc.com

P.S.  I spoke with Laurel at KWHS.  At her instruction, I have taken my
"Administrivia List" and rolled it into the June LoI to make sure that each
item gets addressed.

As they affect people throughout the kingdom, I am listing the 7
administrivia items that went into the June LoI here:

Agripina Argyra	Admin: Name Correction.
	Correction of erroneously released name.  Previously registered name
should have been retained as an Alternate Name.  Previously registered name
was Gillian Esmond of Dragon's Ley (reg. 3/93 via Calontir).  Her current
name Agripina Argyra was registered in the Nov. 1999 LoAR.

Bjorn Lochlannac	Admin: Device blazon correction.
	Name reg. 11/89 via the Outlands.  His registered device (also reg. 11/89
via the Outlands) is in online O & A as: "Argent, two spears in saltire
gules surmounted by a boar's head, erased and affronty, within a bordure
sable, platy"  Submitter says it was supposed to be "bear's" not "boar's".
We need a visual check of the forms to determine if this is a typo or if
the heads on the forms were really drawn as boars.

Catriona Heather MacLochlainn	Admin: Device.
	Her name and device were registered in 05/94.  Her device is in the online
O&A as "Argent, a catamount passant regardant and in base three shamrocks
all within a bordure embattled vert."  We need a visual check of the forms
to see if the catamount is vert or sable.  The submitter says it was sable.
 According to the paper trail in kingdom, "sable" was attached to the
catamount on this device but vanished by the time the LoI went out.

Gerold von Drachenhöhle	Admin: Name correction.
	His name was registered as "Gerold von Drachenhöle" in 05/99.  I typoed
his byname (leaving out the last "h") in the LoI.  I contacted Jaelle (who
was Laurel at the time) when I noticed my typo.  She said (via email) that
she planned to correct the typo when the name got registered, but that
correction got missed.

Ker Megan of Taransay	Admin: Device.
	Azure mullety, a winged lion passant Or.
This device submission was returned on the August 1999 LoAR as cited below.
Ker Megan of Taransay. Device. Azure mullety, a winged lion passant Or.
	This device is being returned because there was no
mini-emblazon on the letter of intent.
I corrected this item on LoI 22 May 1999 (available online at
http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/loi199905.html for those who have since
disposed of old LoIs).
	As there was a prompt correction of the submission, it should have been
pended or ruled on, not returned.

Michael of Kendal	Admin: Name correction.
	This submitter's name and device were submitted together on an Ansteorran
LoI in 1984.  (I have a copy of it and will forward a photocopy to Laurel.)
 The online August 1984 LoAR (for the 8/28 meeting date) lists the
registration of his device:
Michael of Kendal. Per fess counter­ermine and gules, three chevronels
rompu braced throughout argent.
But there is no mention of the disposition of his name.  According to
Master Da'ud, there was a point when names were sometimes not mentioned in
the LoARs, but that the registration of his device implies that the name
was already registered.  To make his badge submission simpler (it is at
kingdom right now), could we get his name explicitly registered?

Myghell MacEdward de Grey	Admin: Device.
	The LoAR for 02/2000 listed, in Acceptances for Ansteorra:
Myghell MacEdward de Grey. Name (see RETURNS for device).
However, his device was not in RETURNS or PENDS or anywhere else that we
could find.  If the device was returned, we need the reason for return so
that we may consult with the submitter.