ANSTHRLD - Re: Name and device

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald herald at ansteorra.org
Fri Jul 14 06:51:30 PDT 2000

Unto Brother Kristophorus, doth Borek Vitalievich
Volkov, Star Principal Herald, send greetings

I am sorry to say that my skill with documenting names
is almost non-existant and I must defer to the College
of heralds in this. I am forwarding you name request to
the Heralds at ansteorra.org email list for further
consideration. I am sure they will be able to help.

As for the device, I am not sure it is workable as at I
believe you mean to have the undersides of the stags
towards the vert rondel. This poses two problems I can
see off hand. One is that the 'vert center' would be
color on color to the azure field. The other is that at
least one of the stags would be inverted and Laurel has
disallowed such representations for some time. I am
just not sure if that rulling applies in this case. If
the Stags were drawn such that they were in annulo and
all of them had their antlers up. Than it might be OK.

I would have suggested that the vert rondel be
fimbriated in argent or Or, but under the current rules
that would give the appearance of pretense bacause it
would then seem to be an inner escutcheon. I have at
least two other submission with that problem and they
are waiting on the Laurel decision before they can be
resubmitted.

What changes to your device would you accept? We, the
College of Heralds, will be happy to work with you to
form a passable device. Please let us know how we can
help further.

Please copy all responses to brother Kristophorus at
his email address SCABrKris at aol.com

In Service to Ansteorra

Borek, Star

Quoting SCABrKris at aol.com:

> Unto His Lordship Borek Vitalievich Volkov, Star
Principal Herald for
> Ansteorra, does Brother Kristophorus send warmest
Greetings:

> Your Lordship,
>
> I pray that this missive finds you in good health and
high spirits.

> I first want to take this opportunity to thank you
for attending the
> fighter
> practice held at Angus' stead this weekend past.  It
is gratifying to know
> that such honorable persons such as yourself support
our efforts to
> reestablish the incipient shire here in this area.
>
> Good Maestro Petruccio suggested that I speak to you
regarding my naming
> and
> device.  I have been speaking to an esteemed
colleague of yours
> (unfortunately my memory is as keen a butter and
cannot tell you his name),

> both at King's College and Highland Games, and he
advises me that my
> desired
> name and device need much work.  At event's end, he
indicated that he may
> have reached some 'Heraldic' compromise.  Maestro
Petruccio feels that
> perhaps you may be able to see some difference in
opinion.

> For the name, prayer and meditation revealed
Kristophorus to be my intended

> ecclesiastical name; which I am told is in itself not
registrable.  My name

> at birth was given as Anfudan mac Oirc of
Loughinsholin (later the MacGurk
> sept of the Cenel Binnigh from the parish of
Magherafelt).

> The device is (forgive my amateurish attempt at
heraldic terminology) azure

> three stags annulo courant argent (here I completely
lose the proper
> terminology -- the stags touch nose to heel and
surround a vert center).

>  Any help that you may be able to provide me in
identifying if any of this
> can be sorted out to workable, registratrable naming
and device would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Brother Kris
>
> Under the guidance of Maestro Petruccio Alfonso Maria
Cuccieri de Cataluna,