ANSTHRLD - Re: Name and device

Jodi McMaster jodimc at texas.net
Fri Jul 14 15:33:04 PDT 2000

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald wrote:

> Unto Brother Kristophorus, doth Borek Vitalievich
> Volkov, Star Principal Herald, send greetings
>
> I am sorry to say that my skill with documenting names
> is almost non-existant and I must defer to the College
> of heralds in this. I am forwarding you name request to
> the Heralds at ansteorra.org email list for further
> consideration. I am sure they will be able to help.
>
> As for the device, I am not sure it is workable as at I
> believe you mean to have the undersides of the stags
> towards the vert rondel. This poses two problems I can
> see off hand. One is that the 'vert center' would be
> color on color to the azure field. The other is that at
> least one of the stags would be inverted and Laurel has
> disallowed such representations for some time. I am
> just not sure if that rulling applies in this case. If
> the Stags were drawn such that they were in annulo and
> all of them had their antlers up. Than it might be OK.
>
> I would have suggested that the vert rondel be
> fimbriated in argent or Or, but under the current rules
> that would give the appearance of pretense bacause it
> would then seem to be an inner escutcheon. I have at
> least two other submission with that problem and they
> are waiting on the Laurel decision before they can be
> resubmitted.
>
> What changes to your device would you accept? We, the
> College of Heralds, will be happy to work with you to
> form a passable device. Please let us know how we can
> help further.
>
> Please copy all responses to brother Kristophorus at
> his email address SCABrKris at aol.com
>
> In Service to Ansteorra
>
> Borek, Star
>
> Quoting SCABrKris at aol.com:
>
> > Unto His Lordship Borek Vitalievich Volkov, Star
> Principal Herald for
> > Ansteorra, does Brother Kristophorus send warmest
> Greetings:
> >
> > Your Lordship,
> >
> > I pray that this missive finds you in good health and
> high spirits.
> >
> > I first want to take this opportunity to thank you
> for attending the
> > fighter
> > practice held at Angus' stead this weekend past.  It
> is gratifying to know
> > that such honorable persons such as yourself support
> our efforts to
> > reestablish the incipient shire here in this area.
> >
> > Good Maestro Petruccio suggested that I speak to you
> regarding my naming
> > and
> > device.  I have been speaking to an esteemed
> colleague of yours
> > (unfortunately my memory is as keen a butter and
> cannot tell you his name),
> >
> > both at King's College and Highland Games, and he
> advises me that my
> > desired
> > name and device need much work.  At event's end, he
> indicated that he may
> > have reached some 'Heraldic' compromise.  Maestro
> Petruccio feels that
> [...]

I consulted with him extensively some time ago.  What I told him is that
Kristophorus was registerable as a Greek name, but not in combination
with an Irish second name.  He told me he had the Irish already
documented.  I also gave him a list of monastic names from OC&M and
possible Greek surnames. I've given him the forms as well. So I don't
really know what else it is he wants.

AElfwyn