ANSTHRLD - Puzzled? was Translation Help

Jodi McMaster jodimc at texas.net
Tue Jul 11 07:43:00 PDT 2000

Bob Dewart wrote:

> Greetings to the list,
>
> Could someone explain to me why the chosen criteria for Household names is
> Inn Signs when household implies a clan or familial relationship, not a
> place to buy ale and bread.

As I understand it, it is because in the Middle Ages, there was no such
thing as "household names" in the sense we use it. There was a sense of
kin-folk, royal lines, and clans descended from a particular ancestor in
Scotland, but not a *named* household of folks.  This is an SCA
practice, so we are stuck between a policy of only registering things
compatible with the period we've chosen to recreate and a widespread
non-period but desired usage.  In order to meet the demand of SCA folks
to have private group names without completely sacrificing the idea of
following period practice, the Rules of Submission have allowed the only
analogous practices they could find existed in the middle ages, as
stated in 2.b.iv:

   Household names must follow the patterns of period names of organized
groups of people. Possible models include Scottish clans (Clan Stewart),
ruling dynasties (House of Anjou), professional guilds (Baker's Guild of
Augsburg, Worshipful Company of Coopers), military units (The White
Company), and inns (House of the White Hart).

As you can see, there are other models than inns, but inn signs usually
are the ones that can justify the type of household names folks want,
e.g, House of the White Unicorn.

AElfwyn