ANSTHRLD - Re: change of position

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Jul 11 19:08:40 PDT 2000

> About the orientation of a schneke: isn't a schneke a spiral
> charge?  If it's heraldically equivalent to gurges, then we'd
> give no CD for orientation.

The PictDict rendition of a schnecke shows it to be narrow-ish, taking up
less than 1/3rd of the edge from which it issues.  The text says that in
French blazon it is termed "un gyron gironnant", and the width of the
picture given is consistent to a single gyron from a standard 8-section
gyronny field.  The text further says, "The point at which the schnecke
enters the shield should be blazoned; whether it spirals deazel or
widdershins is left to the artist."
The schnecke is a period charge and seems to be considered a charge unto
itself, rather than a field treatment, in period heraldry.  Although the
gurges is referenced in the PictDict entry for schnecke, there seems to be
no connection between the charges other than superficial appearance, and
with the schnecke being nothing more than at worst a section of a gurges,
there shouldn't be any conflict problems in this situation (though I would
agree that a CD exists, I would also agree that X.2. oughtn't apply).

I think a check with the PictDict on the exact form of a schnecke, and
making sure that form is followed fully for submission purposes, should
result in a legitimate CD for orientation.

I stand by my statement that there is no conflict here.

- Teceangl
--
  "You say your fesse is gules? There are creams for that, you know..."
					     - Astrid Sigurdsdottir