ANSTHRLD - Coravinda

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Thu Jul 20 13:04:30 PDT 2000

Darin K. Herndon wrote:

> Magnus wrote (in part):
> >Coravinda isn't in either of Tangwystyl's articles on Pictish or early
> >Briton names.
>
> You are correct.  After having the submitter return to their research
> they forwarded the following URL:
> http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/tangwystyl/pictnames/pict3_4.html#section3
>
> If you scroll down this article to the section "B. The Roman Era (and
> Latinate Constructions in General)" and continue to the list under
> the point "1. Given Names", then you will find two lists under this
> point.  The second, longer list contains a name marked as a feminine
> form which is "C[uno]vinda".
>
> So, what the submitter is considering (after comments) is a name in
> the form "C[uno]vinda ingen Chainnigh".  (The patronymic comes from
> Magnus' post on this name.)  I freely admit to not being a name
> person.  With this better documentation of the correct spelling/given
> name and a period patronymic taken from Magnus' comments, how sayeth
> the list?  Is there enough to make a submission attempt?
> Considering, as Magnus wrote, that "Reading Tangwystyl's article
> makes me think there is no wierdness
> combining Pictish and Gaelic because of the strong Gaelic influence
> on names", I am inclined to try.
>
> Also, can someone tell me what the "[uno]" represents?  Is it Da'uded
> text for something?
>
> Seigneur Etienne

It looks like the [uno] represents a damaged part of the inscription.
Tangystal doesn't say for sure.
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/tangwystyl/british1000/
Using the Ogham,
Cunovinda inigena Chainnech

D. Ellis Evans' Gaulish Personal Names may need to be checked.  It is
over
in A&M's library here.

Cuno is a protheme meaning dog and in Gaelic is a dimuative of hound or
wolf.