ANSTHRLD - Cunovinda

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Thu Jul 20 13:32:00 PDT 2000

It looks like the [uno] represents a damaged part of
the inscription.

The First Thousand Years of British Names is very helpful.
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/tangwystyl/british1000/

The best I can come up with for for 4th to 5th century is

Cuniovenda or Cunovinda inigena Chainnech

that is Cunovinda daughter of Cainnech, both spellings of
the lady's name are in the article.

This may mix Old Irish and Briton languages but that should
be the best guess.  Keep in mind this is very early and
records are spotty at best.

Evans, Gaulish Personal Names may need to be checked.  It is
over in A&M's library here.

Let Mari look at it.  Then submit it and ask for
corrections of spelling.
Tangwystyl is the only one I know who could make them
since she wrote the article.

Magnus