ANSTHRLD - Donal's Panther

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Mon Jun 26 23:14:14 PDT 2000

Lee Cavett wrote:

> A point of curiosity: I understood the correct blazon for a panther's
> spots to be "marked (tincture)", as the markings were always there,
> always roundels, and often though not always of various tinctures. Is
> this an alternate blazon, and does it carry over to the other forms of
> roundel (i.e. bezanty, hurty, platy, etc.)? I ask only for info, as I
> have never seen this form associated with a panther before.
>
> Donal
Some examples from SCA heraldry

Thormond the Short March of 1990 (via the East):
Gules, a panther rampant guardant and incensed Or, pelletty, and two
bendlets enhanced erminois.
Skalla Geirmundr Ulfsson March of 1994 (via the Middle):
(Fieldless) A panther rampant guardant gules spotted argent incensed
proper.
Russell Jervis September of 1993 (via Ansteorra):
Vair en pointe, a panther rampant Or spotted of diverse tinctures and
incensed within a bordure gules.
Oudon av Hálogaland February of 1989 (via the Outlands):
Counter-ermine, a panther passant reguardant to sinister argent, semy
of roundels randomly purpure, vert, gules and azure, incensed proper.
Kathleen Simonetta Riario February of 1995 (via Meridies):
Or, a cross fleury gules, overall a panther rampant guardant sable
bezanty, incensed gules, a bordure rayonny sable.
Kelwin Ratslayer December of 1996 (via Atenveldt):
Azure, a pall inverted argent between two panthers rampant addorsed Or,
marked sable, and a rat couchant argent.
Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr April of 1994 (via the Middle):
Ermine, a winged panther rampant regardant sable bezanty incensed
proper.
Dennet de Poitou August of 1995 (via Meridies):
Azure, a pale erminois between two panthers rampant guardant addorsed Or
pellety, incensed gules, on a chief argent three fleurs-de-lys azure.

It appears spotted, marked, semy, and the special roundel
names are all used.  By the way the panther is incensed if
spouting flames and enflamed if the entire beast is bathed in flames.

Magnus von Lübeck