ANSTHRLD - Name Submission inquiry (Katla)

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Tue May 2 17:25:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/2/2000 5:31:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
rayasmith at yahoo.com writes:

> My question: would a copy of this web page, with the
>  date accessed and the URL properly highlighted, be
>  enough to register the name, does she need more/better
>  documentation (esp. for the byname), or is there a
>  third option I'm not aware of?

To answer your questions in opposite order:
There is a third, simpler option. This is because Geirr Bassi Haraldsson's
work is highly respected, everything in "The Old Norse Name" is considered to
be within period, and in fact no photocopies or long URLs are needed.  For
the given name, just write this on the submission form:

Katla - Geirr Bassi, p. 12 shows this spelling as a feminine given name.

No photocopies, little if any room for debate, Done! Aryanhwy merch Catmael,
mka Sara L. Friedemann, who subscribes to this list IIRC, will not be
offended that we quote Geirr Bassi's book instead of her URL.  She created
the Web document so that it would be easier for people to pick a good Norse
name.  She is well aware that we will opt for the more original source, a
shorter attribution, and a "no photocopy" option when we can. (Love you,
Aryanhwy, but after 16 months of typing URLs into the ILOI from hardcopy
submission forms I DON'T love URLs.)

Next:  Yes, she needs better documentation for the byname.  Here 'tis:

bogsveigir - Geirr Bassi, p. 20 shows this spelling as a nickname meaning
"bow-swayer, archer."   On page 18, he states "A noun may be used as a
nickname for either a man or a woman; the gender of the noun and that of the
bearer may or may not agree."

The only question is whether to capitalize the byname.  Geirr Bassi does not,
so I believe it is more authentic to leave it lowercase (although
authenticity between different alphabets is a slippery subject).  The
English, and the hopelessly Anglocentric SCA, would capitalize it -- and 9
times out of 10 she will see it capitalized by others regardless of what she
registers.  So far as I can tell, Laurel will register it the way it's
submitted.  Let your submitter chose.

Last:
This is the proper procedure for using a Web page as documentation, though it
is unnecessary in this case.  Please highlight the name itself as well as the
access date and URL.  Also, copy the full article unless the URL is within
Laurel's Web page or the Saint Gabriel library.  Well, OK, -- copy all the
text explanation.  If there 5 pages of explanation and 65 pages of names
listed after that, you can probably get by with the 5 pages of explanation
and the 1 page (or 2) that contain the name you want.

Kathri, Asterisk (who is having enough trouble with her typing without more
stinking URLs!)