ANSTHRLD - ILOI0400 Corrections, pt 2 (tilde and Stephen)

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Tue May 2 17:24:51 PDT 2000

I wrote:
>  there is *very* little
>  difference between " ~ " and " - " and there are lots more enyas than
dashes

Not only that , the " ~ " is not an enya, it is a tilde.  It is the
diacritical mark that makes "n" (en) into "{n~}" (enya) in Spanish.

I think I've seen too many marked letters in the last 16 months.

--------------------------
16) Stephan of Monmouth (Rosenfeld)
    New name. New device.

Name documentation was left out of ILOI0400.  It follows:

Stephan - Masculine given documented in this spelling in "Yorkshire Given
Names from 1379" by Talan Gwynek
(www.panix.com/~mittle/names/talan/yorkm.html).

of Monmouth - borough, county of Gwent, Wales.  The Norman castle was built
c. 1070; the adjacent town was granted its first royal charter in 1256.  (The
New Encyclopedia Britannica Micropedia Volume IV, pg 999, 1980, Encyclopedia
Britannica Inc.)

Photocopies: Talan as cited.  Entry re Monmouth, evidently from cited work
but
without title or copyright pages.

Changes:  Any.  12th-14th century English language / culture is most
important.  Desired gender is male.