ANSTHRLD - Scottish Name assistance please

Fitzmorgan at cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Mon Nov 20 08:29:17 PST 2000

Hello

    I recieved the following e-mail.  Names are not my strongest area so he
gave me permission to post his question here.  Can anyone hlep please?

***  begin forwarded message  ***

Honorable Lord Fitzmorgan:

I greatly appreciate you taking time out to assist me.

Currently, I play my persona as a Scot from around 1400.  I use the name
Kendrick mac Bayne.  Kendrick, which I am told means something akin to
"Chiefly" or "Of Noble Bearing", is a common name in my family, though I am
sure the Period spelling (if the name exists in Period) would be quite
different. Mac Bayne is an old form of my own family name (Bain - MacBain -
Mac Bayne) so I thought it would be appropriate.  Unfortunately, I am note
sure if either of these names are Period.  I did find Kendrick listed
numerous times in the Ordinary & Armorial so I imagine it is an acceptable
name.  I didn't find any listings for the Bayne spelling in the O & A though
I did find numerous MacBains.  This leads me to believe that BAIN is the
preferred spelling, though in my own family that spelling doesn't appear
until the late 1700's. Can you help me determine if the name I have chosen
here is appropriate, and if so, what the appropriate spelling should be?  I
am very interested in getting a name (and device) moving through the
registration process soon.

***  End Forwarded Message  ***

    I appeciate any help I can get.

Robert Fitzmorgan