ANSTHRLD - Scottish Name assistance please

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 20 09:31:16 PST 2000

Fitzmorgan at cs.com wrote:

> Hello
>
>     I recieved the following e-mail.  Names are not my strongest area so he
> gave me permission to post his question here.  Can anyone hlep please?
>
> ***  begin forwarded message  ***
>
> Honorable Lord Fitzmorgan:
>
> I greatly appreciate you taking time out to assist me.
>
> Currently, I play my persona as a Scot from around 1400.  I use the name
> Kendrick mac Bayne.

Uh-oh, Kendrick isn't Gaelic that I know of.

Withycombe shows Kenrick :OE Cynric, compound of cyne 'royal' and ric
'ruler'. Cynric (died 560)...The name was fairly common in the Middle
Ages,cf. the surnames Ken(d)rick, Kenrack, Kenwright, Kenwrick...The
christian name survived into the 17th C.
Chenric, Kenric(us) DB (1086)
Kenwrec, Kenewrec 1161
Kendrick *1602*
Kenrick *1613*

Black says s.n. 'Bayne like Bain this name is from Gaelic ban, 'white'.
Duncan Bayne, son of Alexander Bayne...had a grant of the lands of
Tulche...in 1542...William Bayn in 1469...Johnne Bayne in 1541...Thomas
Bayne in 1572...The name is no connection with the English Bayne, a
surname of Norman origin.

Black doesn not show a MacBayne, but a s.n. MacBain MacVain. Gaelic. Mac
a'ghille bhain. It shows one name in the Gray Area of SCA period, John
M'Vaine in 1638.

Have you checked St. Gabriel's library to see if their Scottish articles
name have Ken(d)rick? If he wants both names, he may have to go with
this OE given and the Norman Bayne(Bain).

Reaney and Wilson s.n. Bain, Baine, Baines, Bains, Baynes, Bayne:
Banes, 1246
Ban, Bane, 1279
Baynes, 1446
Bayns, 1541
Baines 1676
OE ba:n 'bone' in the North and in Scotland became ME ba:n and bain; in
the Midlands and in the South it became ME bo:n bone and survives as
Bones. A nickname probably usually plural
Beine 1279
Bayne 1301
Bayn 1323.
ME beyn  bayn, ON beinn 'striaght, direct, also 'ready to serve,
hospitable'
Ban, 1324
Bane or Bayn, 1456-60
Bayne, 1623
Baynes, 1219
de Bayns, 1275
Bayns, 1277
de Bainnes, 1333
ME bayne, Fr bain 'baths'. Probably attendant at the public baths. The
forms without the preposititons are too early to be regarded as northern
forms of ba:n 'bone'.

--
Andrea/Maridonna

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it
back to you when you have forgotten the words.
                                              -Unknown