ANSTHRLD - Damask Gisele de Bier - Name documentation

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 17 12:57:23 PDT 2000

Brent Ryder wrote:

> >No, it's a type of rose and a type of fabric so far as I know for sure.  I
> >spoke with a middle eastern dancer in Australia who uses it for her name,
> >but she said she chose it because it was pretty.  I'll check around if I can
> >figure out where to look!  Any ideas?  I never thought about the need to
> >prove someone had actually been named.

I didn't find Damasque, or Damask in the Academy library. Neither did I
find it
in Hanks and Hodges, my negative data book.

For grins and snickers I did check a Merriam -Webster paperback
dictionary and damask
another name for Damascus steel. I'd look in OED, but a bird is on my
shoulder.

The only thing I found similar in Dauzat's Noms et prenoms was Damas,
variant Dalmas, which I found in one of the Academy articles, and is a
masculine name.

Well, the ME dancer is in the right area, I think. Rather than Steel
Magnolias, why not
Damascus Rose? <joking, just joking>

--
Andrea/Maridonna

Teach a man to cook Kudzu and you feed him for a day.
Teach him to farm Kudzu and you feed the country for
a lifetime.