ANSTHRLD - Comment/Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Oct 19 16:11:44 PDT 2000

I really need to reach each note to the end ...

You don't have to document the artistic style of Norse horses,
because
- as long as they're recognizably horses and can't be anything else,
  they're registerable
- if they can't be interpreted as horses that you would see on
  a coat of arms, and you had no evidence that they were drawn
  as such *on coats of arms*, they'd be returned.
  Heraldic art is not the same as art in general.  There are plenty
  of artistic styles that never made it onto a coat of arms.
  We don't register Irish zoomorphs (Irish twisty-beasties)
  for that very reason.

The badge,
    [Fieldless] A Thor's hammer sable, overall
    two Norse horses combattant Or.
has a couple of problems.
- The exact position of the horses on the Thor's hammer
  is not really describable by "overall" -- "overall" here
  is somewhat ambiguous, because that usually implies that
  the overall charges are centered vertically and horizontally,
  and that's not the case here.
- One cannot register a badge with overall charges unless the
  area of intersection is small.  That is not the case here.

A more fundamental concern: sometimes, a period badge was related
to the owner's arms -- using the distinctive charge, for example.
In many cases, there was no relationship between the arms and the
badge.  The Kings of England didn't use a lion passant as a badge,
so far as I know: they used a sunburst, a white hart, a white boar,
roses in various combinations, a protcullis, a broadhead, ...
Perhaps you might want to keep the horses and the Thor's hammer
for the device, and use some simple-to-draw different charge
for the badge?

By the way: I suggest you remove the heavy black horizontal line
down the middle of the shield.  I was first thinking that you
drew the fess way, way too thin for it to be registerable.
Just let the red and gold touch -- it's fine.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)