ANSTHRLD - Comment/Conflict Check

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Thu Oct 19 16:30:34 PDT 2000

My responses are below in reference to what I am responding to...

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> I really need to reach each note to the end ...
>
> You don't have to document the artistic style of Norse horses,
> because
> - as long as they're recognizably horses and can't be anything else,
>   they're registerable
> - if they can't be interpreted as horses that you would see on
>   a coat of arms, and you had no evidence that they were drawn
>   as such *on coats of arms*, they'd be returned.
>   Heraldic art is not the same as art in general.  There are plenty
>   of artistic styles that never made it onto a coat of arms.
>   We don't register Irish zoomorphs (Irish twisty-beasties)
>   for that very reason.

Alright. :) I will just draw the typical heraldic horse when I submit
then, and draw them as I prefere on anything I put my device on. My
culture/time period didn't have coats of arms, so I couldn't prove it,
just a lot of horses drawn on runestones.

> The badge,
>     [Fieldless] A Thor's hammer sable, overall
>     two Norse horses combattant Or.
> has a couple of problems.
> - The exact position of the horses on the Thor's hammer
>   is not really describable by "overall" -- "overall" here
>   is somewhat ambiguous, because that usually implies that
>   the overall charges are centered vertically and horizontally,
>   and that's not the case here.
> - One cannot register a badge with overall charges unless the
>   area of intersection is small.  That is not the case here.
>
> A more fundamental concern: sometimes, a period badge was related
> to the owner's arms -- using the distinctive charge, for example.
> In many cases, there was no relationship between the arms and the
> badge.  The Kings of England didn't use a lion passant as a badge,
> so far as I know: they used a sunburst, a white hart, a white boar,
> roses in various combinations, a protcullis, a broadhead, ...
> Perhaps you might want to keep the horses and the Thor's hammer
> for the device, and use some simple-to-draw different charge
> for the badge?

I figured the badge might be a sticky point. I wasn't certain if what I
was trying to do was possible. I understand what you are saying about the
relationship between the badge and the arms, and will see if I can come up
with something else that pleases me.

 > By the way: I suggest you remove the heavy black
horizontal
line > down the middle of the shield.  I was first thinking that you
> drew the fess way, way too thin for it to be registerable.
> Just let the red and gold touch -- it's fine.

The shield device is an ugly rough-out. I'll draw it off better and let
the red and gold touch as you say.

> Daniel de Lincolia

Thank you very much for your helpful comments!