ANSTHRLD - Cahira's Device

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Tue Oct 24 00:32:33 PDT 2000

Cahira <cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:
> > Barry sable and vairy purpure and Or
>
> Does this mean:
<snip>
> where the 1st and 3rd are black, and the 2nd and 4th
> are vairs that are yellow and purple?

You're quite right.

Or you can use 6 stripes, or any greater even number, as they would be
blazoned by all as "barry".  (Odd numbers can cause debate on "barry"
versus "N bars"; best to avoid that debate.)  Given the tinctures,
I think your opinion is correct that four stripes are the best number
to use.  (I hope it's not a late-night braino on my part that four
stripes are sufficient for "barry"?)

I would suggest you contact an experienced heraldic artist to draw it
for the forms, if it's clear.  I would initially not draw "one trait"
for the vairy stripes -- that is, not just one row of vair bells --
but I could be wrong -- it might be too awkward to do fractional rows,
for example, or two rows per stripe might be too small.

Checking this is going to be a bitch and a half^U
Looking at the rules, this may be a Laurel test case.  Vairy is not
mentioned anywhere in the field-primary rules!  It's not mentioned as
a line of partition for Substantial Change of Partition, and it's not
mentioned as a tincture for Complete Change of Tincture.  Given that
vairy is composed of equal pieces of two tinctures, like the undoubted
lines of partition like checky and lozengy, and it's not given the
explicit allowance of treatment as a tincture that ermine
gets (which commentary at the time called odd), I'd treat vairy as a
line of partition.  However, there is explicit mention of only two
kinds of many-pieced fields:
    "Checky" is substantially different from all other grid-like
    partitions (i.e., those formed by two sets of parallel lines, like
    "lozengy" and "barry-bendy"); these other grid-like partitions are
    not substantially different from one another.
Rouland?  Jaelle?  Anyone?

For other possible choices (yes, I know, more choices):

There's also a mundane case of "Vairy Or, gules, and azure" and vairy
of four tinctures, so Laurel didn't hesitate to register (9/97) Diego
Miguel de Vega, name and device, "Vairy sable, argent, gules and Or,
on a pile Or a natural panther rampant contourny sable."  Maybe a
simple vairy of all three tinctures would be registerable -- but I
advise against it, because I would expect that it would be hard to
tell the sable and purpure apart in practice.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)