ANSTHRLD - Name help please

Fitzmorgan@cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Fri Sep 8 00:11:27 PDT 2000

    Greetings from Robert  Fitzmorgan

    I need some help from the CoH with Northkeep's Baronial Service Order.
Some background first.  When Northkeep became a barony the suggestion was
made that we name our Baronial Service Order after a member of our shire who
had passed away shortly before we became a barony, Lady Kendra Kenmare.  The
Barony approved of the idea.  We didn't realize that we were going to have
problems with registering this, and by the time this became apparent many in
our Barony had become very attached to the idea.  Our first attempt to
register a name was, "The Order of the Kenmare.  This was returned in kingdom
and we were told we would need to provide evidence that period orders were
named after geographical features such as rivers.  We can document that the
name 'Kemare' was used in period for the Kenmare River, and for the region
around the river.  The town of Kenmare was founded just out of period in 1670
and named after the river or the region.  So the name 'Kenmare' IS period,
but was not applied to a town in period.

    I have a photocopy of a list of period orders from the book "Orders of
Knighthood, awards and the Holy See."  by Cardinale, Hyginus Eugene.  I'd
like to ask the help of the CoH in finding a way to name our Service order
that is registrable and contains the name "Kenmare".  This has been a sore
point here for almost 4 years and Before I approach their Excellencies
Northkeep with yet another proposal I would like to have a reasonable
expectation that it will fly.  Once I have a few ideas that are registrable
then I will approach their Excellencies and the Barony to choose which one we
want.  I have discussed this with ld. Etienne who has worked on this for some
time and here are some of our thoughts on the matter.

A common pattern in naming Orders in the SCA seems to be:  The Order of the
[THING] of [PLACE]   'place' generally being the name of the branch.

Some period patterns I've seen include:

    The Order of [THING]
    The Order of [PERSON]       With "person" almost always being a Saint
    The Order of [PLACE]        With "place"  pretty much always being a town
or city
    The Order of [PERSON] OF [PLACE]
    The Order of [TRAIT]            i.e. Mercy, Silence, Ransom, jubilation
etc.
    The Order of Our Lady of [THING], [PLACE], [TRAIT]

    Can we simply name it after the person, i.e.,  "The Order of Kendra
Kenmare"?  The name was registered Sept. 92 and we can get a letter from her
husband releasing the name to the Barony for this use.  Naming orders after
people is a period practice, would the person have to be a Saint for this to
be permisable?

    Can we name the order  "The [THING] of Kenmare" with Kenmare being the
region, or perhaps the town and convince the CoH to cut us a little slack
over the date, since the name "Kenmare" is period?

    Could we register something usng 'Kenmare' as an adjective such as: "The
Order of the Kenmare Lilly"?

    Can we name our order "The Order of Our Lady of Kenmare"?  It's a very
period pattern, and my personal favorite.

    What about "The Order of the Company of Kenmare" or "The Order of the
Kenmare Company" ?

    Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.  I would like to
get this issue resolved.

Thank  You

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep