ANSTHRLD - simple device question

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Fri Sep 8 14:57:48 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net>
To: <heralds at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: ANSTHRLD - simple device question

> << Can someone post directions on how to use on of the online
> conflict checkers? >>
>
> No, not really.  Learning how to count CDs does take some work
> and time, so I really wouldn't advise it just for one piece of
> armory.  Of course, if you want to learn all about the art and
> science of heraldry, we'll be glad to turn you to the heraldry
> side of the Force, he said with an evil leer.

I am interested in learning how for learning sake.  I've learned alot
about heraldry in order to design my device.  I even passed the
Pursivant Extraordinary test this past weekend (yeah!).

> In period, hawks were "close": seen in side view, wings against
> their sides.  They were usually hooded, belled, and jessed, to
> make it clearer that they were hawks.  Striking and rising (I
> think there's no difference granted between them; I think the
> only noticable difference is in foot position) are quite modern.
> Would you be willing to consider a close posture with the
> standardsy accessories?

I've considered a close posture or perhaps rending a small animal.
It's just such a plain charge in that posture, but it would be more
period.

I want to avoid semy of something, because that would add to the
trouble of drawing it (I could use counterermine or ermine, but want
to avoid it for the same reason).  I want as simple as possible.

> Any other suggestions, folks?  I'm certain I'm missing a few, but
> my mind (such as it is) has gone blank.

Thanks for all the help.

> Daniel de Lincolia
> --