[ANSTHRLD] Re: Fast track August items

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 03:34:42 PDT 2001

>Water Under The Bridge:

>Fast-Track #1, Ciaran O'Neill, Name: I'm not at all sure, but I think
>this is mixed Gaelic-English orthography, and thus a weirdness, but
>not presently cause for return.  Whether an item with a weirdness
>ought to be fast-tracked is a larger philosophical decision.

The name is correct pure Irish Gaelic for a post 1200
masculine with a clan name.  The O should probably
be lower case, has the accent, and is used with the
clan byname in the nominative case.  A pre 1200
clan name or a clan name with a patronymic would be
different.  Case and gender of the byname as well
as the century affect the formation.
A wonderful lesson on the formation of Gaelic names
can be read at:
http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/
Gaelic is a language where sprites and elves lurk
to pull mischief on clients.  This submission has
suffered from considerable delay due to heraldic
and treasury mischief.  It deserves to be fast tracked.

Why does forming Gaelic names remind me of playing
a Fitzben card game with Captain Kirk.
(A Piece of the Action, Original series)

>Fast-Track #3, Gerard du Quartier, Device: The perils of
>fast-tracking.  This is an instaboing.  RfS VIII.3, "Voiding and
>fimbriation may only be used with simple geometric charges placed in
>the center of the design.".  A one-sided ordinary, not being in the
>center of the design, cannot be fimbriated.  E.g., LoAR 6a/92:

The responsible parties already know about this oops.
This slipped past 4 heralds who shall remain nameless
lest they end up being in the clueless club.  One of
those pictures from despair.com would be nice about now.
It would make a nice test to see who in the CoA is paying
attention.

I know you can charge a bordure with an orle as of 1997.  Can you charge an
orle with another orle?  If so this
looks like fimbriation.
Consider Argent, an orle sable charged with another Or.
looks like Argent an orle Or fimbriated sable.
Then again the orle is the only two edged peripheral
ordinary I can remember.

Another thing to look out for in fimbriation.
If you fimbriate a losenge, roundel, escutcheon,
or other item that can be used for heraldic display
then you can't charge it with a tertiary because
of presumption.

Magnus