[ANSTHRLD] Re: Fast track August items

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sat Aug 11 20:58:33 PDT 2001

!

> The O should probably be lower case, has the accent,

I didn't think there was a "probably" about it: "O'Darn" is Englished,
"{o'} Dhbhaeiouandsometimeswandyrhnhnna" is Gaelic, no?  Please don't
tell me the one fact I knew about Gaelic is false!

> Why does forming Gaelic names remind me of playing
> a Fitzben card game with Captain Kirk.

No, no, the Fitzben, short for Fitzbenjamin, were the famous Norman
Jewish viscounts of Avranches.  Fizzbin will be a silly invented card
game in about 2 centuries.

> I know you can charge a bordure with an orle as of 1997.  Can you
> charge an orle with another orle?  If so this looks like
> fimbriation.  Consider Argent, an orle sable charged with another
> Or.  looks like Argent an orle Or fimbriated sable.

It's not clear to me.  The latest registered example I find is

I{n~}es de Alegr{i'}a|8905E|d|Sable, a sun Or, eclipsed gules, between
three compass stars all within on an orle Or, a tressure gules.

That's a rather old item on which to be basing a decision on current
registerability.

I would expect fimbriation to be drawn thinner than "on an orle".  On
the other hand, from Jaelle bootleg prec.:

    [On a mullet of seven points sable a decrescent gules fimbriated
    argent] This design is essentially (Fieldless) A mullet of seven
    points sable charged with a decrescent argent charged with a
    decrescent gules.", which means it uses a quaternary charge, which
    is disallowed by RfS VIII.1.c.ii (Layer Limit).  Fieldlessness has
    always been held to count as one of the layers (see, for example,
    the return of Carlo della Casa "(Fieldless) On a sun Or eclipsed
    quarterly vert and azure, a fleur-de-lys Or" 9/95), and we have
    been treating fimbriation as an X charged with another since
    Bruce's tenure. (Jaelle of Armida, LoAR October 1996, p. 11)

Danielis Lindicolinum
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.