[ANSTHRLD] Use of Chi-Rho

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 11:24:37 PDT 2001

I have a submitter who would like to use the chi-rho symbol as a charge on a
device.  Evidently, this would be the first registration of the chi-rho,
although we have registered other Greek letters and other conjoined letters.
If anyone has documentation of the use of the chi-rho in period armory, I'd
love to know about it.  If not, I'd like to know whether the people on this
list think it is registerable.

The submitter has documented use of the symbol from the Late Roman Empire
throughout our period of interest, including its use on banners, coins,
stones, and buildings. Also, she is sending me documentation of a chi-rho on
a signet ring. I find one Byzantine coin of particular interest, since the
symbol appears on a shield on the coin:

http://www.byzantinecoins.com/September2000.html

The combination of this symbol and the submitter's name will not create an
excessive reference to any religion.

If we don't find an example of the symbol on period armory, how likely is it
that we can justify registration?

Kathri