[ANSTHRLD] conflict check: (Fieldless), in saltire a quill pen and a sword argent

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Aug 22 19:47:10 PDT 2001

I'm checking (Fieldless) in saltire a quill pen and a sword argent.

(Artistic notes: the sword is actually some fancy type of dagger, as I recall,
but dagger=sword for conflict purposes, yes?  And the quill actually
overlays the dagger, but the quill is in bend and the dagger in bend sinister.)

It looks clear, except for these two:

The more likely conflict: Durvyn Wildermuth von Wiesbaden (October 1998,
Caid): Vairy Or and azure, in saltire a sword inverted wavy argent, hilted
gules, and a quill pen argent.

1 CD for change of field (to fieldless).
>From here on we're looking at "changes to half the primary charge group"
CDs.  Bleah.
- Changing the hilt from gules to argent isn't worth a CD, since that's just
half of the charge.  (If the entire sword had been gules, then it would be a
CD, right?).
- I doubt the wavy makes a difference, since in a sword that's practically
artistic license, but am unsure.
- Inverting the sword MAY make the required CD.

(Also, is there a difference in saltire between "a pen and a sword" and "a
sword and a pen"?)

The less possible conflict is Barony of the Middle Marches (November 1983,
Middle): (Fieldless) In saltire a quill pen argent and a sword inverted proper
surmounted by a recorder Or.

1 CD for fieldless, and probably another for removing the recorder.  So this
is probably clear.

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith