[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: [SCAHRLDS] recent rules revisions

Ryder, Brent BRYDER at compucom.com
Wed Aug 22 12:53:46 PDT 2001

>Color A, an X <Metal B> does not conflict with Color A, >a Y <Metal B>.

Correct, significantly changing the primary charge is grounds for
complete difference

>However, does the rule also apply to the fields.  That
>is, does the following conflict?
>
>Color A, an X <Metal B>  *and*  Color C, an X <Metal B>  >or for that
matter Color A, an X <Metal B> *and*
>Quarterly Colors A and C, an X <Metal B>

Yes, these conflict. Only changing the field is not sufficient for
complete difference.

>My initial feeling is that they would not conflict given >the above
change in the rules. The concept is
>essentially the same as the rule.  Given the fact that
>the field usually takes up a much larger area than the
>charge in simple Heraldry, I would assume that it would >actually show
greater difference than just changing the >color of the charge.

> Opinions?

As the primary charge is on top of the field and is typically drawn
simply and such that it covers much of the field, changing the field
alone is insufficient for difference. As the field has to be a color or
metal and the primary charge has to be a metal or color respectively,
changes to the field amount to changing the contrasting color which
distinction can be lost at a distance while the type of primary charge
will still be identifiable by virtue of the contrast in tinctures.

Borek