[ANSTHRLD] Possible new award

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:42:25 PDT 2001

>Unfortunatly the names that have been sugested either conflict with
>alredy registered names or do not follow the guidlines for Names of
>Orders and Households,

Darius, Orders and Households are not the same thing
and are covered by different sections of rules for submissions.  If you
submit an order following the rules of households it risks being returned.
III.2.b.ii. Names of Orders and Awards - Names of orders and awards  must
follow the patterns of the names of period orders.
iv.Household Names - Household names must follow the patterns of period
names of organized groups of people.

I would recommend reading KWHS 2001 for "Period
Order Names" page 46.  It is a complete discussion of
period orders and awards with authoritative research.
The SCA College Of Arms now has access to good data on
order names which it can now use to evaluate submissions.

I have submitted to several persons the suggested
constructions:
Order of the Archers of Saint Sebastian
or
Order of Saint Sebastian of the Bow

You are also incorrect about these suggested names.
They have been checked for conflict by several members of the College of
Arms not in our kingdom and are clear of mundane and SCA conflict.  They are
not a household so
those guidelines are not useful.  Both names follow the
recommendation in SCA order guildlines of using saints
names.  They also follow the recently uncovered research in "Period Order
Names"

If they are not what the kingdom has in mind for a grant  that is certainly
alright but do not say they do not follow period and SCA guidelines.

Magnus von Lubeck