[ANSTHRLD] Possible new award

Timothy Rayburn timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 12:51:41 PDT 2001

--- Wilim Penbras <wilim.penbras at pandora.org> wrote:
> For a badge I like: Sable and Or on a mullet of five greater and five
> lesser a pheon counterchanged.
>
> I'd like to get it fieldless but I'm Really not sure how to blazon
> the split down the middle for counterchanging.

You mean :
(Fieldless) On a mullet of five greater and five lesser points per pale
sable and Or a pheon counterchanged.

> Otherwise I do like: (Fieldless) On a fess Argent a mullet of five
> greater and five lesser points between to pheons sable

This doesn't fly unfortunately, as a Fess uses the edge of the field to
define it's edge and as such cannot be placed on a "fieldless" badge.
You could do something like :

(Fieldless) On a bracer argent, a mullet of five greater and five
lesser points.

But adding anything on the mullet gets into to many layers, and bounces
for the same reason as the original design.

> For names, which is where I screwed up to begin with, like, (in no
> particular order):
>
> Order fo Sherwood

This won't fly because of a Jaelle precedent that noted no examples
found of a placename being used in an Order/Award name.

> Order of the Golden Pheon
> Order of the Sable Arrow
> Order of the Weary Archer
> Order of the Broken Gold
> Order of the Pierced Hart
> Order of the Bent Yew
> Order of the Sable Sky
> Order of the Sable Flight
> Order of the Empty Quiver

Several of these would have problems with the "Inn Sign" concept.  They
aren't easily thought of by looking at a picture.

If I may blatantly steal from existing Heraldry (for the White Scarves)
why not something like :

Sable, on a fess between two arrows fesswise argent a mullet of five
greater and five lesser points sable.

It's a blatant copy of the concept of the badge that we already have,
but it's not like we haven't done that before (see Centurions and Star
of Merit).

Timothy