ANSTHRLD - Awards, written proof...

Stephen Macthomas macthomas at ev1.net
Fri Feb 9 11:56:23 PST 2001

Greetings to the list:

I too have been following this list and this thread.  Here's my two cents,
for what they're worth:

I am a court herald of some meager skill, and have made myself a student of
How Courts Are Conducted.  By this I don't just mean the manner in which an
artist performs before a crowd, I mean the method in which a coordinator
conducts the business within and *about* a court.  For some years, I have
attempted to gather all the information about a particular court's awards
and record them on a court report BEFORE the beginning of said court.  That
way, when a court is underway, and a change occurs (a scroll is read into
law, an award is presented without a scroll, etc.) it can easily be adjusted
on a mostly complete Court Report Form.  Once court is done, the very first
thing I do is make whatever additions, deletions or adjustments are
necessary to the form and turn straight to the presiding royalty or nobility
for their signature.  When I get home, I e-mail Zodiacus a copy and mail her
the original (when I don't just hand her one at the event).  What's mailed
is very clear in those cases where an award is presented and no scroll is
given, or a scroll is read into law and shouldn't be published just yet.
When I am recording this information as one of the court heralds, I note
that on my form, so that Zodiacus and Star Signet know that I recorded this
information as one of those who saw the awards themselves.  And I always try
to be certain that a copy of this information makes its way to the local
herald of the branch where a court was presented.

It's long been my thought that if our court heralds were educated to make
Paperwork as important to court heraldry as Preparation, Projection and
Pronunciation were, instances such as forgotten awards, missed scrolls and
premature publication of presented awards would be minimized in the future.

In service to College and Crown,
Lord Stephen Macthomas, Tressure Herald
tressure at ansteorra.org or macthomas at ev1.net