ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Jeanne's name submission

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Tue Jan 2 08:23:47 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/2/2001 9:26:08 AM Central Standard Time,
maridonna at worldnet.att.net writes:

> I'm probably waaaaaay off base here but the feminine name that I read in
>  that entry is <Seburga>. To me it seems that <Sibri>, etc. are by-names,
>  but I, a herald of four years do *not* want say that Talan, an expert,
>  is wrong.

You're both right; what Talan actually says in his article is that Sibri is a
_metronymic_ byname, so there is some feminine name it is built from.  The
asterisk by "Sibri" at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/reaney.cgi?Seburg means that
"Sibri" may be a genitive form, or a nominative used as an unmarked genitive.
 Given that Talan is pickier than most of the CoA, I'd say it's worth trying.
 But the documentation needs to be formatted much more clearly, and now is
the time to do it.  My suggestion:

Sibri - English feminine given name derived from metronymic shown by Reaney
and Wilson under "Seaber" as "Alan Sibri 1279."  See also the introduction to
 "Feminine Given Names in _A Dictionary of English Surnames_" (1994, Talan
Gwynek (Brian M. Scott)) at http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/ and
the listing of this spelling at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/reaney.cgi?Seburg.

"de Aldebourne"  --  English locative surname dated in this spelling to 1380
in Oxfordshire England as found in "English Names from Pre-1600's Brass
Inscriptions" (1996, Julian Goodwyn (Janell K. Lovelace)) at
www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/brasses/lastnameCD.html#D. Ekwall under
Aldbourne shows "Aldeborne DB." Reaney and Wilson under Alborne derive the
locative surname from Albourne in Susex, and list "John de Aleburn' 1177" and
"Nicholas Alebourne 1332."

Kathri