ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Jeanne's name submission

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 2 07:19:58 PST 2001

Snipped

Brent Ryder passed along:

> Sibri de Aldebourne
>
> "Sibri" --  Found as a feminine given name in "A Dictionary of English Surnames", a paper written and published at the Known World Heraldic Symposium (1994) by P.H. Reaney.  This compilation can be found at "  www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/reaney.cgi?Seburg "   It is attributed to 1276.

The s.n. in R&W is Seaber.
"<Seburga> filia Oseberti, 1222. William <Sibry> c1227; Alan <Sibri>
1276; John <Seber> 1279; John <Seburuh> 1279; John <Sabourgh> 1327;
William <Seburgh>, Margaret <Sebrow> 1327. OE <Saeburh (f) 'sea
fortress', of which only one earlier example has been noted...11th C.
Teh early <Sibry> forms may have been influenced by OE <Sigburgh>
'victory-fortress', an early OE woman's name found in place-names, but
not known to have survived the Conquest..."

I'm probably waaaaaay off base here but the feminine name that I read in
that entry is <Seburga>. To me it seems that <Sibri>, etc. are by-names,
but I, a hearld of four years do *not* want say that Talan, an expert,
is wrong.

> "de Aldebourne"  --  Found as a surname in "English Names from Pre-1600's Brass >Inscriptions", a compilation of names at " >www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/brasses/lastnameCD.html#D ".  This was produced by >Julian Goodwyn (Janell K. Lovelace).  This surname is attributed to 1380, Oxfordshire >England.

I couldn't find spelling above in R&W, but they have the surname is
listed as Alborne, Alborne, Alburne:de Aleburn' 1177; Alburne 1187;
Alebourne 1332. From Albourne, Sussex. Ekwall has the place-name
Aldbourne: Ealdincburnan c 970; Aldeborne DB; Aldiburna 1182. 'The
stream of Ealda's people.' In Wiltshire.

If the Sibri works, it a nice name.
--
Andrea/Maridonna