[ANSTHRLD] Request for assistance

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jul 11 10:09:48 PDT 2001

Gunnora / "C. L. Ward" <gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org> wrote:
> Daniel reported:
>> - Corpora just says "Only royalty and territorial Barons and
>>   Baronesses may bestow awards", but doesn't say why.  It does have
>>   a clause about how "The basic duties of the Baron and/or Baroness
>>   are ceremonial in nature in reflecting the royal presence in the
>>   barony.", but that's well above that.
>
> Y'know that's weird -- I've seen the Crown delegate awards out to a
> Court Baroness before so that the CB could hold court in some remote
> outpost that the Crown wouldn't be visiting that reign.  The awards
> were signed by the Crown, but given by the CB.

I distinguish between giving an award and conveying it.  The Crown can
tell anyone "we've given this award; please hold a court and announce
it there".  I see it as the difference between the Baron and Baroness
of Bryn Gwlad giving someone the Martlet (a baronial award) versus a
Sable Thistle (kingdom; the Crown has allowed them to hand it to the
person).

> >For example: Note that Corpora says that baronies cannot give
> >armigerous awards.  Note that most all Ansteorran baronies give an
> >armigerous award.
>
> I think that's "not on it's own without Crown approval".  As far as
> I know, the Crown has to OK all the armigererous awards, even if the
> recipient is already armigerous.

A few years back, I once discussed it with Robin and Adelicia.  I
believe they said that they did not check with the Crown if the
recipient already had an AoA.  They also said that if the Crown had
ever not assented to the award to some person, they would have thought
seriously about resigning, believing that it ought to be in the free
gift of the baron/ess.  However, this may have been Robin and
Adelicia: they are people who can get away with more because, well,
just because they're them.  Richard Fairbourne or Sir Madhi, say,
could pull a stunt that I couldn't get away with, frex.  Also, the
Crowns were different; customs or opinions may have changed.

> However, lots of groups (in Ansteorra and other kingdoms, from
> discussion on the SCA-Wide Laurel List) create non-armigerous awards
> that don't get reported in the OP.  They usually have a badge or
> symbol or insignia of some sort, and are given as an "attaboy"
> usually for people who have done neat stuff but aren't quite ready
> for an AoA yet, or to older hands that have way many awards as a
> public thank you.

Certainly Corpora allows baronies to create non-armigerous awards, and
Corpora says that they are certainly in the free gift of the barony
(the Crown cannot award them).  Whether they get recorded in the
kingdom OP is a matter of convenience for the kingdom heralds.  They
should certainly be recorded in the local OP.  They also ought to be
registered.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)