[ANSTHRLD] helms, livery, and fru-fru oh my

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jul 19 15:46:44 PDT 2001

> It's ironic (to me) that this question came up.  I am in the process of
> writing up a little guide about just such things.  I'm hoping to make it a
> Non-Herald's Guide to SCA Device Heraldry.  Just a little something that
> maybe locals would like a copy of, so when a newcomer comes to him/her for
> help in designing a device, they can pull out the guide either go over it
> with the newcomer, or give it to the newcomer to get started.  The guide
> might also be useful to new heralds.  I've gotten a lot of surprised looks
> from people when they found out I knew a bit about heraldry before I became
> a herald.  Is it really so uncommon that heralds know a thing or two before
> they become a herald?  Anyway, this little guide of mine might help with
> that.  A tentative outline will be to discuss the assembly of the full
> coat-of-arms with achievements, starting with the device and working up.

Since such things migrate out of kingdom, please either make it crystal clear
that this was written in and for the Kingdom of Ansteorra on X date (so that
if things change in the future people can figure out it's out of date) or
reference as much information of other kingdoms as possible (again, please
date its publication).
There is much IKA going here.  Achievement-wise, An Tir is more lenient than
Ansteorra, and likely other kingdoms are different as well and we want people
to realize that things change across the borders.

- Teceangl
--
          Fill your mouth with toothpaste and quack like a duck.