[ANSTHRLD] Position Vacancy: Orle Herald

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon Jul 30 13:12:37 PDT 2001

Life has been nuts lately.  I apologize for not getting this out sooner.
Anyway, my old position is now vacant (since I've now got other things on
my plate).

Here's a summary of the position.  If anyone has other questions about the
position, I will gladly answer them.

Yours in service,

Mari

Position Vacancy: Orle Herald

Orle Herald is an Ansteorra's external commenter in the College of Arms.
Orle is responsible for providing commentary (via a Letter of Comment) on
external Letters of Intent.

The volume of items that come through the CoA is quite high.  (I think the
average was around 330 items a month a while back.)  Commenters in the CoA
tend to pick a particular area and comment on that one.  Some comment on
only a few LoIs.  Some comment only on armory; others only on names.  Some
comment only on a particular culture of names (Russian, Irish, Spanish,
etc.).  Some LoCs are one page long.  Some are 12 pages long.  The scope
and length of Orle's LoC is up to Orle.

Requirements of the position:  CoA commenters are expected to turn out a
Letter of Comment at least every other month.  These LoCs must go the CoA
mailing list.  Currently Ansteorra has arranged to go in on a packet
service in Atlantia.  When I was Orle, I wrote my LoCs and emailed them to
Evan (who coordinates the packets).  Evan bills kingdom, so (as long as
this arrangement continues) Orle does not have to deal with photocopying,
mailing, or money.

Orle Herald is one of those positions that is not required to be filled.
When it is not filled, the office goes dormant until such time as someone
steps up and applies for the position.

More info about job requirements of commenting members of the CoA are in
the Admin Handbook at:
     http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html
under
     VII. Commentary on Submissions